Curly and afro hair is often a topic of conversation. I get a lot of questions and comments about my hair. Although most comments are positive, sometimes comments are negative or are based on a lack of understanding or misconceptions.
Here are 5 statements that stand the test of tim.
5 Comments You’ve Heard 5,000 Times
- The stating the obvious comment – “Wow your hair is so ______(insert your hair type here)”
- The incognito comment – “Oh my god, I didn’t even recognize you with your hair pulled back. It’s like you’re a different person!”
- The backhanded compliment comment – “Wow, you look beautiful with straight hair. You should wear your hair like that all the time.”
- The is it science comment – “How do you make it do that?” And my response, when I’m feeling a little cheeky. “I put over 200 tiny perm rods in my hair every night before I go to bed.”
- The petting zoo comment – “Can I touch it” Honestly, not everyone asks for permission. I’ve become an expert at sensing a hand approaching my hair and ducking and weaving.